Registration Information and Program Locations
The Environmental Education Center is open daily 9:00am-5:00pm and the trails are open from dawn to dusk unless otherwise noted. The building is closed on all holidays, however, the trails will remain open.
- Some of our programs are shared parent-child experiences and require an adult with each child. Other programs are for children only.
- Programs with age ranges are only for children who fall into that range by the class date
- .Adult programs are for anyone 15 years old and older.
- All Ages programs (formerly listed as Family and Friends programs) have no age limits.
However, an adult must accompany anyone who is younger than 15.
Somerset County Park Commission Naturalists lead all of the programs. Many are conducted at the Environmental Education Center in Lord Stirling Park, Basking Ridge. Classes also meet at other Somerset County parks. The location for each class is abbreviated under the class description and defined in the class code box at the bottom of most pages. Registration for all classes is through the Somerset County Park Commission Environmental Science Department office at the Environmental Education Center. All Naturalist-led trips and their enrolled participants will begin from, and end at, the Environmental Education Center without exception.
THERE ARE FOUR WAYS TO REGISTER
(please note that a person must register no later than 24 hours prior to a program start time and only for his/her own household members).
- On-line: Registrations can be facilitated through our website www.somersetcountyparks.org. First-time users of this system must establish an account either by calling the Environmental Education Center or by personally enrolling on-line. To establish an account online, visit our website and click "On-line Registration". Scroll to the last paragraph and use the "click here" access. Fill out the application and submit. You will be assigned a specific household number and a password. You will use this each time you register for a program in the future. Program registration cannot be facilitated without your household number! We advise establishing a household account as soon as possible to avoid delays. NOTE: Leisure pursuit cards cannot be used for on-line registration payments.
- In-person: Visit the Environmental Education Center. The Center is open seven days a week (closed holidays), 9:00am-4:30pm. Checks, credit cards or cash! If registering for more than one trip, and paying by check, you must bring a check for each trip program and one to be used for general programs.
- Mail: Complete the Program Registration Application form located in the Parks, Program & People guide. Send to the Environmental Education Center, 190 Lord Stirling Road, Basking Ridge, NJ 07920 along with a separate check for each program. Please make your checks payable to Somerset County Park Commission. If you are not currently in the computer
system, you will be contacted by the Environmental Education Center staff to complete necessary information.
- Phone: Call the Environmental Education Center at 908 766-2489 between 9:00am and 4:30pm daily to register. Payment by credit card – Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express – is required at time of registration. Individuals with hearing or speech impairments may call the Relay Service @711 to register.
SPACES IN OUR PROGRAMS ARE NOT RESERVED UNTIL PAYMENT IS RECEIVED. The program guide will be released on September 4, 2016
YOUR RECEIPT IS YOUR FINAL NOTIFICATION OF THE PROGRAM(S), TIME(S), AND DATE(S) IN WHICH YOU HAVE ENROLLED. YOU WILL RECEIVE NO FURTHER
WAITING LISTS: Some classes fill very quickly and we take names for waiting lists. We cannot guarantee enrollment.
CANCELLATIONS (by us): Programs are sometimes cancelled due to low enrollment or weather conditions. You will be notified by phone and given an option of a credit or a full refund.
CANCELLATIONS (by you): The Somerset County Park Commission will refund program registration fees if notified a minimum of seven days prior to the start of the program.
The Center houses a comfortable, user-friendly resource library. A large number of books and a variety of periodicals regarding the many facets of our environment are available during regular building hours. A wide range of children's environmental books and magazines are also available.
The library has tables and chairs for on-site research and reading. Because it is a resource
library, not a lending library, all materials must remain on-site.
For all of our programs, assisted listening devices for individuals with hearing impairments can be reserved. Please call ahead 908 766-2489 or call the Relay Service at 711.
Programs may require appropriate minimum skill levels. Somerset County Park Commission reserves the right to remove disruptive participants and children who do not meet the age requirements.
Should any participants (pre-registered or unregistered) arrive after the advertised time for the start of a program, it may not be feasible for you to participate in that program. Consequently, registration fees for pre-registered individuals will not be refunded.
All enrolled program participants must have the required health and waiver forms completed and signed prior to the start of a program.
MOST CLASSES ARE CONDUCTED OUTSIDE, SO PLEASE DRESS ACCORDINGLY.
The EEC Program Passport is BACK!
The Program Passport is still alive and well at the EEC! The Passport can be
secured when you attend a program listed in this guide. Present the Passport each time you attend a paid program at the Environmental Education Center. Receive a stamp for each paid participant within your household. (Passport must be present at the time of the program in order to receive a stamp.) For every ten stamps, receive one Leisure Pursuit Card!* Collect as many as you can! Advance registration is required for all paid programs.
Please note: Promotion may end anytime at the Environmental Education Center's discretion.
*Leisure Pursuit Cards are redeemable at most Somerset County Park Commission parks and entitle you to one of the following activities: paddle boat rental, Colonial Park Putting Course, Green Knoll Pitch and Putt, admission to Warrenbrook Pool, tennis court rental, one round of golf, Environmental Science program, hack or intro ride at Lord Stirling Stable or reduced fee for a picnic grove. The value of each card is a maximum of $20 per use. Cannot be redeemed through online or phone-in registration.
• Program Registration Application (pdf)
• Monthly Newsletter (pdf)
• Calendar (pdf)
• Program Registration Information & Locations
• Canoe & Kayak Programs & Trips
• Cross-Country Skiing
• Birthday Parties
• School Group Programs
• Scouts/Other Group Programs
• Maple Sugaring
• Special Events
• Family Program Series
• Natural History Book & Gift Shop
• Room Rental